Monday, July 23, 2012



I DID FORGET TO ADD SOMETHING TO THIS MORNINGS EARLY POST...


[It was early, and we all hate Mondays]


Just a couple things I forgot to mention, then remembered them while working on something.


First, the Olympics are hot on our heels so expect the scammers and hackers to try and take advantage of you via an email link or something more nefarious. That's the second time I've used that word today - I guess it rolls off my brain and onto the computer easily. Let's call "Nefarious" the word of the day.


Secondly, here are two scams I've heard within the last week. Scam No.1 is a phone call from the "Microsoft Security Center", and some fellow with an Indian accent tells you that their massive server center has determined that your computer does not have a valid copy of Windows on it. To avoid any penalties, it's best to come clean and pay for it now, over the phone with a credit card. Scam No.2 took advantage of an older retired woman. She received a phone call and heard a young man's voice on the other end. Not having the best hearing, she said "Is that you Hastings?" [ed. - the names have been changed because I forgot them], and the young man replied "yes grandma it's me". So the usual questions ensue: I haven't heard from you in awhile/What have you been doing since graduating from college?/etc.


And to make a long story short he tells grandma that he chose to do missionary work overseas and please, don't tell mom and dad because they just wouldn't understand so that's why I'm calling you because I'm in a jam for money and can't call them or they'll find out I'm not in the states. She withdrew money from her bank account and went to Western Union and wired him the money, as well as the next week after, and the one after that until a month had gone by. That's when her husband [they must not talk much] noticed a $9,000 deficit in their savings.


This ends another edition of "Misery Theatre".


'Nuff Said,

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment