Tuesday, October 9, 2012


JUST BECAUSE AN ARTICLE SAYS MICROSOFT HAS RELEASED 20 PATCHES TODAY, INCLUDING A CRITICAL MS WORD PATCH,

DOESN'T MEAN YOU'LL GET THEM THAT DAY



I know this because I've gone through this before. I check the lower right corner of my taskbar where the icons are by the time, but I don't see any new updates waiting for me. Then, I go through Windows Update and after what seemed like 30 minutes, I get a message that there are no new critical updates for me.

What does this mean? It means that you may wake up Wednesday morning and find your PC rebooted after having Microsoft Updates installed - but don't hold your breath. The last one that came around didn't show up on my PC until Thursday night/Friday morning, and for some customers, not until the weekend.

Why is the Word flaw so critical? For many years I've discouraged users from using the view pane in Outlook because it's had a well known bug where if you're just previewing the message and the message has malicious code in it B-A-N-G, you're infected. What does Outlook have to do with Word? It uses word as it's default editor/viewer, so I'll be really happy if this does fix the problem which exists in Office versions 2003-2010.

The article did have a link to just the Word patch, which I just did, but you can wait for your updates to arrive soon in one package if you like, and I doubt I'll turn the viewing pane back on - after about 10 years I've figured out I really don't need it. The article can be found HERE.

'Nuff Said,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment