Wednesday, August 6, 2014

SECURITY AND - PUT YOUR OUTLOOK ON A DIET!


I GUESS YOU'VE HEARD THE NEWS...








Those crafty Russians have accumulated over 1.2 billion user names/passwords, along with 500,000 email addresses! But it's nothing new [ed. - the "Russians"], as I've told you in person that the greatest threat comes from Russia and it's old [or possibly re-grouped] regions like the Ukraine.

As to not create a panic, which seems to me like the horse is already out of the barn, the websites who have been hacked are not being released to the public. All I hear is "they" recommend people change their passwords, and because many users continue to use the same password for multiple accounts it means "they" are suggesting you change them all - once again, for at least the 3rd time this year alone.

SUGGESTION

Use a password manager. It keeps each login name and password you use for each website in it's encrypted vault [meaning you can make the password as obscure as you want because you don't have to remember it]. The vault is "Closed" until you open it with one special password known only to you.

I've read reviews on various password manager/vaults and suggest you do the same before choosing one. The one I use comes with Norton 360 [i.e. - I know, certain companies will tell you Norton has issues, but I've been using them for over 15 years now and I'm a happy camper. I also use Trend Micro, but I don't believe it has a password vault], and it saves me a lot of looking for that darn "Book-0-Passwords" to get into my bank, or Amazon, or whatever other websites I use.

As for putting Outlook on a diet, here is an earlier Blog post from one of my other Blogs -

As you know I have several computers at my disposal. One computer was setup with the same email accounts in Outlook that I have on my main computer, and I duplicated my actions:

  • Created archive folders and moved email I wanted to keep into those folders
  • Deleted Junk Mail in the "Junk Mail" folder
  • Deleted emails I read, or had no intention of reading in my in-box
  • Occasionally deleted my "Deleted Mail" box

And I let this  go on for 2 years... 

When a human gains too much weight/size and goes on a diet, along with exercise, usually you'll see results. If you look at your main Outlook .PST file you'll find that even if you deleted 20,000 messages, the .PST file size remains the same, and this can cause Outlook to act a bit odd at times.

Don't freak out - that's the way Outlook works [oddly enough]...

Looking at my test computer, my main Outlook .PST file size was about 1.8GB in size, yet I knew I moved many items during those 2 years into Archive folders, as well as deleting a "Ton-0-Spam", so I followed the prescribed file size loss treatment:
  1. I went into my Program Files, and under Microsoft Office 12 (2007) I found SCANPST. I ran this on my Outlook.PST file [with Outlook closed] and it found 37 errors which it repaired.
  2. Next step was to open Outlook and:
    • Go to TOOLS, then ACCOUNT SETTINGS
    • Once that window opened up I selected the Tab marked "Data Files" and selected "Personal Folders" one of which was labeled Outlook.PST
    • In the next window I verified the folder I picked was truly selected and then -
    • Clicked the "Compact Now" tab - and then I waited [and waited].
This was an older, slower computer with 2 years worth of emails but it started this process at 1.8GB in file size and ended up at a slim/trim 929mb size! The Outlook on that computer runs much better now and I've eliminated the bloated space, but keep in mind that I ran the ScanPst program first, and also checked my hard drive to make sure that there weren't any issues before proceeding.

If you use Outlook, maybe it's time you took a look at how big your Outlook .PST file is and do some file size reduction as well. Different operating systems keep .PST files in different places [ed. - and some folks specifically put them in a particular folder], but the easiest way to find out where your outlook.pst file is located is to Google "Where is my Outlook.PST file stored in Windows "X"? [ed. - "X" being Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, etc.].

'Nuff Said,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment