Monday, June 2, 2014

MONDAY AFTERNOON ARM CHAIR QUARTERBACKING

THE THINGS WE DO WRONG













"We" encompasses everyone from the end user, computer technician, to companies that we trust to keep our personal information secure. Let's start with Ebay...



When I read about the disastrous breach I went to their website to change my password, yet before and after login the large message I was expecting ["WARNING-WARNING-WILL-ROBINSON-CHANGE-YOUR-PASSWORD"] wasn't there.  

Why not?

Later that night, the next day, and the day after that I expected an email from Ebay telling me that my information was leaked and to change my password immediately. It didn't show up for about a week - again, Why not? 

If the cat [knowledge of a security breach] is out of the bag it doesn't do a company like Ebay any good by appearing as though they are sitting on their hands. It made me, as an Ebay user, feel like I'd been dealing with a company run by Chuck, his brother Buck, and their 3rd cousin "Bubba", and while I've yet to do it - I'm really thinking about closing my account.

Since then, other security researchers have found a variety of security related issues on their website including one which prompted one researcher to say "It wasn't JUST another security flaw, it was something any rookie would catch" [paraphrasing].

I feel better now, don't you?


UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE


If I had to guess [and I'm going to], at least 50% of my residential virus cleanup service calls would go away if only end-users [YOU] would keep up with your Adobe Flash, Reader, AIR, Oracle's "JAVA" updates [remember - not from a pop-up window, but directly from their website], and didn't let their anti-virus lapse. 

"lately 25-30% of my residential calls have been because the online companies technician screwed up their computer..."


The updates are free, and buying a new anti-virus each year [or two years, if you have Trend micro] is certainly less expensive than a 1-2 hour virus clean up.

If you don't appear to have a crippling virus at the moment, it's also a good idea to have your favorite IT company/Technician come out once a year and go through your PC to do the updates, check your logs for any signs of impending doom [drive failure], and make sure that your computer is as tuned up as well as it can be.

Regarding the crop of these new online PC cleanup businesses - I can't speak for all of them, but lately 25-30% of my residential calls have been because the online companies technician screwed up their computer. As always, if you're not sure if a critical update is out there, you can check this Blog, or subscribe to it and have each post emailed to you -

'Nuff Said,
Brian



No comments:

Post a Comment