Monday, May 27, 2013



MISC. MEMORIAL DAY RAMBLING









Do you use Skype, or, are you planning on installing it in the near future? If so, I have two words for you: "Be Careful". If you're downloading the software please make sure you are doing it from the correct website and haven't been re-directed to a website that looks like Skype. This may be pure coincidence but last week I ran across two customers who were infected by something related to Skype.

In incident No.1 the user was downloading Skype and as soon as it finished and the install began - they became infected with numerous virus/trojans.

In incident No.2, from what little was passed on to me, Skype was in use previous to infection. Their PC arrived with a variation of the "FBI VIRUS". Working my way through my logical troubleshooting steps I found that it was the Skype.dat file that started the whole thing, so be careful on installations, updates, and Skype messages.


I.E. 10 is still crap and a large percentage of calls regarding Internet access or full access into a secure website end up with a technician un-installing the I.E.10 update which reverts it back to I.E. 9 (the lesser of two evils).

Also, as in many service calls, some infections could have been prevented by applying patches to Adobe Flash, Reader, and Oracle's JAVA.

'Nuff Said,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment