Friday, May 3, 2013


MAIL CALL...







It's been awhile since I shared some emails received, so while I'm hacking out my allergies I thought it would make a good time to do it.

Q. - What is a "PUP"? These sometimes come up on a Malwarebytes scan.

A. - A "PUP" is what security people call nuisance or possibly a program you may not want on your computer. To my knowledge, PUP's do not grow up to become "DOG's".

Q. - My Internet Explorer browser used to say "Windows Internet Explorer". Now, when I open it I see at the top "Babylon Search - Windows Internet Explorer", what happened?

A. - Your browser has been Hijacked by a program called Babylon. It probably has made itself the default homepage (which you can't change) as well as default search engine. Sometimes, I've used Babylon (I think it used to be Yahoo's Babylon) to translate English into French and send an email to my wife in French. The last time I used it they kept trying to get me to add it as a toolbar to make languages conversions easier, but it sounded a little iffy.

So, if you do have this, I'm sure you've tried to un-install it, change search engines and homepages and still have it on your computer. Unless you're ready to spend a lot of time and steps to completely remove it I would:
  1. Try a system restore to a date before that happened. If that fails -
  2. Call a professional in to get rid of it for you. [ed. - shameless plug for SugarlandPC]
Q. - I paid a lot for my anti-virus software and I still got infected. Does Norton really suck?

A. - No, Norton/Symantec is in the TOP 5 of anti-virus suites. The fact is, no matter what you buy cannot stop every virus. We are constantly being bombarded by new viruses, trojans, and old ones that have been modified.

The best thing you can do is make sure the Anti-virus is up to date, run a quick Malwarebytes scan once or twice a month and keep your Adobe Flash updated (as well as JAVA). Don't do it via a pop-up, go directly to their respective websites and upgrade. The links are on the homepage of each.

And that end's the "MAIL CALL" post today -

'Nuff Said,
Brian
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment