Sunday, March 31, 2013

IT'S
NATIONAL BACKUP DAY!!







And, as you can see by my photo (I'm the one with the hat) I backed up waaaaay to far and must correct the error before the younger me sees the older me and "Poof" we destroy the world!

I found where I made my, er... the backup assistants mistake in reading the date code stamped on the machine and have just replace the media with the correct one -

Okay then, I'm back to my usual self and if you haven't got the hint either from the headline of this Blog post or the photos, today IS really National Backup Day.

Yeah, I know there's a day for everything now but this one should be taken seriously if you love all of your digital photos, music, documents and more, because if you don't backup the data on your computer in the blink of a static burst or dead hard drive - it's all gone baby, gone.

Just telling someone to make sure that they backup their PC puts a heavy burden on the owner, who may only know how to turn the computer "ON", check email, and click on the shortcut links on the computer's desktop. Even the most experienced have had embarrassing moments where they lapsed in doing backups, leading to the loss of some data that can't be found anywhere else.

If you have a service call and the tech mentions you should be backing up your data, go ahead and ask them how to do it! If it's not mentioned, but on your to do list, then ask anyway. Most PC techs will be happy to tell you how and why you should be doing this.

Ways to backup:
  • Tape drive - not reliable
  • A 2nd hard drive in the computer
  • An external USB drive
  • Via the Internet to a Cloud service.
Discuss these with your PC Technician to determine what fits your needs and budget, but please - backup your PC

'Nuff Said,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment