Wednesday, November 13, 2013

UPDATES, UPDATES, ETC.


A TSUNAMI OF UPDATES


Microsoft wasn't able to patch those zero-day exploits last week but are now updating our computers. My personal experience wasn't very pleasant, but perhaps it was just my PC [although I'll power "on" another Windows XP computer to see if the same thing happens]

As usual, after waking up this morning I went to my computer to check the daily schedule as sometimes appointments change over night. What I found was whenever I clicked on I.E.8 it would come up a little slower, then usually my homepage would soon follow. That never happened, even after leaving it up for 45 minutes I could do nothing.

Even stranger, Firefox barely would load, but once again - no homepage and no way to do anything but watch. So I left for my morning appointment and when through (several hours later) I stopped by home quickly to see if anything had changed - nope. I went into add/remove programs, checked the box to show updates, and scrolled down until I saw the one for I.E.8 and UN-installed it. After a shutdown/restart I clicked on I.E. 8 and it worked as it usually does, then tried Firefox and it worked as well. Why an I.E.8 update would affect another companies browser is an answer I can't explain, and for now I will take my chances without the I.E. update.






Not to be left in the cold, Adobe has issued updates for FLASH, and several other of it's programs which are also security related - so keep up with those updates.

'Nuff Said,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment