Monday, February 27, 2012

THINGS PEOPLE FALL FOR, AND END UP WITH A INFECTED COMPUTER

I've mentioned this before, but keep your anti-virus software up-to-date. When I say "Keep your anti-virus updated", I'm not just talking about updating your current AV engine, but update/upgrade to the newest anti-virus engine. If you're still under a current subscription it could actually be free. Last year my wife and I upgraded to Norton 360 Ver.5, and last week I received a pop-up telling me I could get the newest AV engine (version 6) for free. I practice what I preach so yes, I closed the pop-up and then opened up my Norton 360, went to the last drop down window to the right (SUPPORT) and clicked on "Check for new version". Sure enough, version 6 was there and we're running it now.

If you don't use Microsoft Outlook, the Symantec Spam filter wouldn't do you much good, but always be aware of emails from people you don't know with subject lines that read (examples) "Family Reunion 2012 info", or emails from the BBB (Better Business Bureau),increasingly the IRS and Intuit [example from this mornings email - "Download your Intuit.com Invoice"] and especially - strange emails with attachments. I know you'll be tempted to open it up just to see what is says, but sometimes that's all it takes to have your computer infected these days.

To be redundant: If you do click on a pop-up for and Adobe product, pay attention to your computer when it asks you if you really want to install this because usually it will include the URL and if says xyz@adobe.abc.com, it's probably a ruse. And what's the "Golden Rule"? Go to directly to that companies website to download updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment